Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Thoughts while in the waiting room

Yesterday Mandy and I went to Texas Children's Hospital for a Pre-op surgery visit.  Never mind that she had seen the surgeon less than two weeks before anyway we had to be at the Medical center at 8:30 on Monday and 9:30 on Tuesday.  Monday we left the house at 6:30 am to get to said hospital.  We arrived one hour and 40 minutes later.  Tuesday we left at 7:30 to get to said hospital at 9:30.  It took me one hour and 40 minutes.  Interesting - I would have thought it would take me longer as it takes one hour and 30 minutes to get there normally.

Yesterday we were sitting in the waiting room/pre-op room to fill out yet more papers and to weight and measure Mandy two more times.  Guess what? she weighed more in the doctors office by one pound but was 1 1/2" taller in the pre-op room.  Strange.  As we waited for the second person to also weigh, measure and take her blood pressure a family came in carrying a little girl.  I think it was a little girl, she was bald and wearing hospital issued pajamas.  The whole family, Mom and Day, Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts.  I don't all but they were clearly there to support her and probably her parents.  She was getting ready to have an operation.  My guess is that she had cancer.  I then stopped thinking bad thoughts about nurses and waiting and started saying my thank you's for all we are blessed with.

Mandy had her surgery today.  We are home and everything is going well.  She will rest several days and then should be up and around.

2 comments:

Donna Leavitt said...

I talked to Daddy about this, but did you get insurance after Cobra ran out? My neighbor recommends an insurance company named Alliant, that she used when her Cobra ran out. It is much cheaper than Cobra. FYI.

Shelly Turpin said...

TCH opens your eyes. It is a very sobering place. I did love seeing how many families were there supporting each other.