Thursday, April 01, 2010

Scouts, basketball and concussions -

Yesterday was Wednesday and we have scouts on Wednesday night.  I asked Mandy if she was up to going to scouts and she said "yes".  I wish she had said no!

I received a call before we were to leave asking me to help out in scouts, the leader was sick and just needed a warm body to help out.  We drove to the Church and let everyone in.  I had a key.  Nathan went in to the cultural hall to play basketball until everything started.  We have three wards that share our building and Wednesday night gets very busy.  I was standing in the hall talking to the other den leader and a mother came up to me and said that Nathan needed me.  He was seated in a chair and crying.  Oh, no.

He was playing basketball with some older boys and got knocked flat.  His head bounced on the hard cement.  Nathan is a tough kid but he cried all the way home and then started vomiting.

He has now had a CAT scan and he didn't scramble his brains too badly.  He doesn't remember anything about last night and still has an enormous headache and his neck is sore from the fall but he will be fine.  The Doctor said it could take up to 2 weeks before all of the side effects are gone.

Big sigh. It has been a long week.

2 comments:

Shelly Turpin said...

A very long week. Bring ham and watch Conference - hopefully it'll fill some bucket :)

Donna Leavitt said...

I'm so sorry. That is just awful! The bishops in our building have made VERY strict rules that NO primary kids are allowed in the gym on Wed. evenings (even before meetings) because similar things have happened here. But it is SOOOO hard to enforce. Cameron and I butt heads about it all the time. I hope Nathan feels better soon.