Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring Break

Spring break means one thing to children and an entirely different thing to adults, I have found.  I was looking forward to a week when we could clean the house, wash all the windows and doors and work outside.  The kids, on the other hand, were looking forward to a week of computer play, watching tv, and going neat places.  I don’t think either party got what they wanted!

We did do a few things I wanted – went through all of the kids clothes, sorted and cleaned out drawers.  The kids cleaned the game room and resorted and organized.  It’s funny what the threat – “I am going to empty this room of toys if they don’t find homes” – does to motivate children.  We gathered up our recyling and dropped it off, while still doing art lessons, scout-date (kind of like a play date but they work on Scout requirements),  we visited an art gallery in the Woodlands and afterwards had cupcakes, at the first Cupcakery that I have gone to.  We worked in the garden each day – as much work as we have put into this garden, it should look better!  We went to It’z on Friday afternoon and had (depending on the view of the person) a pretty good time.  I have decided I’m not particularly happy with that type of place because of the tickets they earn.  They are never enough to buy anything even remotely worth it and that leaves everyone rather unhappy as you are leaving. 

We had a nice day with Kathie’s family on Saturday as they came to, yes again, work on the garden.   We had yummy tacos for lunch, the kids got the privilege of raking and shoveling dirty hay/manure into the trucks and putting it on the garden.  Such fun, such joy, such non-enthusiasm!

Sorry, I have not taken any pictures as I was too involved in the process.  Our 43 baby chicks are growing, we haven’t had any calves yet (soon though), we have a cat that is expecting any day and is really cranky!  Our world is starting to green up even though we are in the midst of a bad drought.  The cows have found a way to get into our yard (inside the white fence) without knocking down a fence and have gotten into the garden and walked through the berry patch  without doing any major damage???? 

Tomorrow, school starts again with all of the other factors: art class, piano classes, horseback riding class, baseball, baseball and baseball and scouts.  Oh well, I like the scheduled days of school in some ways.  I am already looking to next year and have started buying school books.  If anyone has found a elementary text book or curriculum on Texas history – I would love to see it.  It looks like I get to put one together and I would really just like to see what others are doing.

No comments: