Monday, April 07, 2008

Last weekend

was, of course General conference and everyone has written something about it. I am looking forward to reading each talk as even though I listen closely, I can't remember half of what was said. I am very impressed with the new Apostle, Elder Christofferson. I listened to him talk and the Spirit was very strong and I enjoyed his talk about his wife's conversion and also his sister-in law's. I was very glad to see President Monson smile on Sunday. He had seemed so very solemn.

This weekend was very busy for us and so I taped the Saturday session and watched the morning session while Glenn and Nathan were at Priesthood. The Solemn Assembly was interesting - I don't remember doing it that way before but I am sure it is my memory and not something new.

We also had another adventuresome animal day. We have one male Mandarin duck and Glenn thought it would be nice to get him company and so around 6 weeks ago we bought three little balls of yellow fluff and brought them home. Boy, ducks are incredibly dirty animals and I will be glad to take them to the pond. We tried on Saturday morning and it was almost a final act on the part of the ducks. We took them down to the pond and watched them get in the water and take that first swim and then off they went into the middle of the pond. They looked like they were having a great time and then Ducky Wucky decided to join them. He swam up to them and we thought "awww" he is making friends. Not true, he tried to kill them! He grabbed one on the back of the neck and started holding his head under water. Glenn threw sticks and rocks and finally we all pulled the boat into the water and Glenn rowed vigorously to where they were. He slapped the paddle down into the water and Ducky finally let go. The baby duck did survive but then we didn't know what to do. By the way, there were ants in the boat and Glenn was standing up in the boat and trying to get rid of the ants and not fall in. Sorry, I didn't have my camera. We talked to Shelly and she looked up ducks and etc. and then we called the Feed store and were told that he was trying to show who was boss and we need to wait several more weeks to make sure the ducks can survive. Funny, we had put the dogs in the garage thinking they would be a problem but no it was the other duck! So, we were in a quandary trying to figure out how to get the ducks back in the kennel and take them back to the workshop. We have two fishing nets and Glenn went on one side and I went on the other and actually caught all three ducks in the two nets at once. I guess practice with the chickens have helped anyway they are back in the workshop and will be there for several more weeks.

Oh, we finally have found the three kittens that Kimball had several weeks ago. They are very cute - one is white with light grey and one is a grey tabby and the other is dark.. They all three have long hair like their mother and the little white one (it is adorable) was only born with one eye. I don't know what that will mean to the kitten. He/she won't be a hunter as he won't be able to see on that side.

We are looking forward to this week - Asia and Aurora are coming to stay for a week starting tomorrow and Kathie will be here on Friday. The big event is Victoria's blessing and we are going to have a picnic at Meyer's Park on Saturday and then travel to Donna's Ward for the blessing on Sunday. I can't believe how blessed we are to have so many wonderful children and grandchildren!

2 comments:

Caleb T Ricks said...

I can't believe that the duck did that - wow! That would have been a great picture with Daddy rowing, fighting of ants and trying to get the duck away from the babies - it's the kinda stuff movies are made of!

CYNDI said...

Those ants don't want to let go of that boat. You may have to get a new boat! I thought the solemn assembly was so touching. President Monson seemed so humble watching, aware of all the millions who were sustaining him. It was neat to have my little boys raise their arms.