Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Seemed like a good idea

 

Nathan was talking about fire trucks and fire escapes and so I thought it might be a good idea for a talk on how to get out of the house if a fire started.  Sounds good, right.  Well, I accomplished scaring both of the kids to death.  I won't be surprised if they both come down in the middle of the night and sleep with me!

It started off well - we talked about where to meet once we left the house and how to call 911 if there was a fire or emergency.  So far, so good.  Then we went into the living room and I described me in the kitchen and a fire in the laundry room or dining room and I couldn't get to them.  How would they get out and that was fine and then we moved to the game room and if there was a fire in the kitchen and coming down the hall and we practiced opening the window and pushing out the screen and climbing out the window.  Wow! that was fun - can we do it again?  Then I decided to go upstairs because that is where a big problem would occur.   We went up the stairs without the lights on because it would probably be dark and we would have to feel our way.  I am still with them but neither of them like the dark.  We talked about what would happen if fire was coming up the stairs and they couldn't get down.  It wasn't totally dark but darker than they are used to and then I had Nathan climb up on his bathroom counter and lean over and push the screen out and then climb out the window.  Don't worry, I am holding on to him tightly.  Mandy freaks at this point and won't even think about climbing out a window so, I turn on lights and we talk about it.  We came down and finished FHE but when I put them to bed they were still a little scared.  BIG SIGH!  One thing, maybe they will remember it.

 

I haven't posted in a little while.  My life has been upside down since we got back from vacation and it doesn't seem to be slowing down.  One thing I have been putting a lot of time into is my writing course.  For anyone that doesn't know, I signed up for a course in writing literature for children.  I am enjoying it but it seems to take up what spare time I have.  I try to schedule at least an hour a day (actually night) to write or read the assignment.

Labor Day weekend we labored trying to get the garage cleaned out and Glenn did some tractor work which was badly needed.  I will take a picture of Daddy and his new toy next weekend.   He really enjoys working with it and it lets us do the necessary work around here.  It is getting late here and I haven't done anything other than get the kids down for the night.  Have a great week all.  Goodnight.

1 comment:

Caleb T Ricks said...

It sounds like it was a very interesting FHE and now all you have to do is have a drill and see how much the freak out! Hopefully, it goes better than you think. I think that they will at least remember what you told them!