Thursday, February 19, 2009

Doctrine and Covenants

I have been reading the Doctrine and Covenants Commentary since the beginning of the year, which by the way seems like it's been a year and it's only February.  Anyway, something I read last night affected me.  In Section 6 verse 25 it reads "And, behold, I grant unto you a gift , if you desire of me, to translate, even as my servant Joseph", speaking to Oliver Cowdery. 

Down below that in my commentary is this - "This is a divine promise to Oliver Cowdery.  A great many records have been kept since the beginning of history, which are now hidden.  God was willing to make the contents of some of them known to the world through Oliver Cowder.   To man those records are lost, but to God, they are only "hidden", and He can bring their contents to light.  This promise would, undoubtedly, have been fulfilled, if Oliver Cowdery had remained faithful".

I had chills after reading that to know that if Oliver had stayed worthy we would have other knowledge that as of yet we don't have and also that I pray I have not done something that kept me from fulfilling something the Lord had granted me permission to do if only...

When I was Relief Society President,  my secretary was given this blessing as part of being set apart.  This is not verbatim but my memory several years later - That if she continued to be faithful and fulfill the responsibilities placed before her that her family would come into the full gospel. Her husband was a non-member and her daughter was less active and her son didn't come at all.  The last I heard of her - she and her husband were divorced, her daughter was not coming to church at all and her son had committed suicide.  What a sad ending to something that could have been wonderful.

Just my thoughts on an evening in February.

No comments: